This may just be your new favorite gluten-free side dish!
This is one of my family’s favorite dishes over the summer. It’s simple, delicious and offers a great bang of nutrition to your plate.
While visiting my dear friend Cheri, she served us a delicious meal, which included broccoli slaw. My children loved it, and once we arrived back home quickly asked me to create our own version.
Isn’t it great when kids ask for the healthy meals?
Broccoli slaw is a fabulous side dish loaded with vitamins and minerals.
According to Dr Axe, broccoli is a vegetable we should ALL be eating as it offers so many health benefits. He states that research links broccoli nutrition and cruciferous vegetable consumption with loads of health benefits, including:
- Cancer prevention
- Lowered blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Slowed aging
- Better teeth and gum health
- Better bone health
- Prevention of prematurely aged, irritated skin
- Better wound healing
- Better eye health
- Detoxified blood
- Liver protection
- Balanced pH level and regulated blood acidity
- Improved hormonal health and adrenal gland functioning
- Improved fertility
- Increased metabolism and better management of a healthy weight
- Better cognitive function, even into old age
Go get your broccoli!
Grab your broccoli and up your nutrition. This Broccoli Slaw is a delicious, easy side to add to any of your favorite meals.
Get creative and add more of what you like – which also helps the kids eat more of this as well.
Easy & Delicious
Oh so simple- grab a bag of broccoli slaw already cut and ready to use at the grocery store. How easy is that?
Mix up your broccoli slaw in the morning or the night before to allow the flavors to blend well together.
In a medium mixing bowl add 2T olive oil, 3T vegan mayo, 1T apple cider vinegar, and 1T honey mustard. Mix well. Like a very creamy salad? Just add a bit more of the vegan mayo, we like EarthBalance.
Rinse off the broccoli slaw and add it to the dressing in the bowl. Toss well.
Chop up 1-2 apples into bite-sized pieces. Squeeze lemon over the apples and toss. This keeps the apples from browning so they continue to look pretty in the salad. Add the apples to the broccoli mixture.
Grab a handful of dried cranberries and add them in as well. Toss all together and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Before serving, sprinkle a little sea salt over the top and give it a good stir.
This is the perfect side dish for your next gluten-free BBQ!
Make this tonight, then post below in the comments to let me know if you enjoyed it!
Gluten-Free Broccoli Slaw
- 1 bag prepared broccoli slaw
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 T vegan mayo
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 T honey mustard
- 1 lemon
- 2 apples
- 1 handful dried cranberries
- In a medium mixing bowl add the olive oil, mayo, apple cider vinegar and honey mustard.
- Mix well. For a creamier salad add a bit more of the mayo.
- Rinse off the broccoli slaw and add it to the dressing in the bowl. Toss well.
- Chop up 1-2 apples into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice the lemon to squeeze over the apples and toss. (This keeps the apples from browning.)
- Add the apples to the broccoli mixture.
- Grab a handful of dried cranberries and add them to the bowl.
- Toss everything together and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Before serving, sprinkle a little sea salt over the top and give it a good stir.