Summertime cookouts. Easy and fast dinners. Burgers definitely fit into this category.
Many feel that burgers are just not too healthy anymore. But, overall, you can kick it up and add that health right back by choosing good quality beans or meats and add in veggies with great spices to nurture your body.
Choose organic, antibiotic-free ground turkey or grass-fed beef to give the best health to your body. You can make these delicious mouth-watering burgers on the stove or out on the grill.
Try this fun twist on burgers to bring to your next cookout.
You will need:
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 – 1 1/2 T chili powder
1 t. Ancho or Chipotle Chili powder (optional for an added kick)
1 T dried parsley (or small handful of chopped fresh)
olive oil for cooking
**You can also add 2 – 3 T of your favorite salsa.
I do so when I have it on hand. Just make sure it is gluten-free!
Another optional addition: beans. Add 1/4 cup of kidney or black beans. Mash a little and add to the meat mixture.
In a large bowl mash all the ingredients together. You can use your hands or a potato masher, which makes this so easy!
Next, form balls with the mixture. We like to make these in a smaller size, like a slider.
They are a better size for the kids and I feel one is enough once you add in a salad or veggie on the side. From 1 pound of turkey, you get about 6-7 patties.
Smash each ball to form a burger. Place a little bit of olive oil in the pan, or brush each side with a little of the oil.
Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side on medium heat or out on the grill, until cooked through.
Serve on your favorite gluten-free roll, a lettuce wrap, or on a green salad.
We love to enjoy these delicious burgers on a romaine leaf with smashed avocado, steamed broccoli, and bean chips for a quick and easy dinner!
Cooking Tip: Make two batches of these chili burgers. Place the second batch in the freezer for another busy night to have a great dinner in no time at all.
Gluten-Free Chili Burgers
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 - 1 ½ T chili powder
- 1 t. Ancho or Chipotle Chili Powder (optional for an added kick)
- 1 T dried parsley (or small handful of chopped fresh parsley)
- Olive oil
Optional: 2-3 T of your favorite salsa, ¼ kidney or black beans (mash partially)
- In a large bowl mash all the ingredients together. You can use your hands or a potato masher, which makes this so easy!
- Next, form balls with the mixture.
- Smash each ball to form a burger.
- Place a little bit of olive oil in the pan, or brush each side with a little of the oil.
- Cook about 4-5 minutes per side on medium heat or out on the grill, until cooked through.
- Serve on your favorite gluten-free roll, a lettuce wrap or upon a green salad.