Scare your Halloween guests with these spooky gluten-free Halloween treats – spider and web cupcakes!
It’s so fun to get creative in the kitchen, especially for holidays and celebrations.
Spook your friends at your gluten-free
Halloween party with these cute
and tasty gluten-free spider
and web cupcakes!
All ingredients are gluten-free and dairy-free. Choose organic ingredients whenever you can.
Let whoopie pies cool completely
before you decorate.
While they are cooling, you can
prepare the spider legs.
You’ll need about 1 cup of dark chocolate chips, melted and 8 small gluten-free pretzel sticks for each spider to create 4 legs per side of each spider. (Snyders GF Pretzel sticks work well)
Once the chocolate is melted, dip each pretzel stick about halfway into the chocolate to coat the stick. Place on a piece of wax paper to set – about 30-60 minutes. Let the chocolate completely set before assembling the spiders.
To Create the Spiders:
Choose two whoopie pies for each spider.
Spread frosting on one half. Then place the other half on top.
Continue until you use up all the whoopie pies.
Place some of the frosting in a sandwich bag. Cut a small corner from the bag.
Squeeze two small drops of frosting for the eyes onto each whoopie pie.
Place a small chocolate chip in the center of each frosting drop for each eye.
Complete for all spiders.
Once the pretzels have set you are ready to add the legs.
Insert 4 pretzel legs into the frosting between the two whoopie pies.
Place 4 legs per side. Complete for all spiders.
Display them together on a platter.
Create web designs on top
to complete the platter display
For the Web cupcakes: Frost your favorite gluten-free cupcake with white frosting. Using either chocolate frosting or melted chocolate, create a dot in the center of the cupcake.
Then draw three circles on the top of the cupcake with the chocolate frosting, each one a little bigger than the last. You can use a sandwich bag again or use a cake decorating bag with a tip.
Starting in the center of the cupcake, take a toothpick and drag it from the center to the last circle, pulling through the dark frosting, creating a web design.
Create a platter with
the gluten-free spider cakes
Share them with your spooky scary friends on Halloween
Enjoy your gluten-free spider cakes!
Try these fun spiders and let me know how they turned out.
Spooky Spiders and Webs (Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free)
- 4 T Earth Balance butter
- 4 T coconut oil
- 4 T applesauce (natural, no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 t. baking soda
- ½ t. guar gum
- 1 1/4 cup rice milk
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup Earth Balance butter
- ¾ cup gluten-free confectioners' sugar
- ¾ T rice or coconut milk
- ¾ t. lemon juice
- 1 t. pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream the butter, oil, applesauce and sugar together.
- Add the egg and vanilla, mix well.
- In another bowl add the flours, cocoa, baking soda, guar gum and salt, whisk together.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, adding milk in between each addition. Mix until all combined, smooth and creamy.
- Scoop the batter into oiled Whoopie pie pans. Bake for 8 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack before decorating. Makes about 16-20 whoopie pies.
- Let whoopee pies cool completely before you decorate.
- Cream the butter. Then slowly add in the following ingredients whipping the mixture all together. Blend with a mixer for 5 minutes. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.